This self-guided tour will take you all over the southern-half of Costa Brava, considered the most beautiful coast in Spain. You will discover at your own pace the most emblematic coastal landscapes and places in the province of Girona, our country’s quintessential cycling capital.
The tour starts and finishes in the beautiful city of Girona, which boasts a rich cultural and historical heritage. In this tour you will be passing charming fishing towns, sandy beaches, and intimate coves, as well as picturesque medieval villages.
There are 3 kinds of accommodation available to suit your needs and budget:
• Explorer: Budget accommodation without compromising on quality.
• Comfort: Upscale 4* hotels where you can relax and enjoy all the comforts.
• Luxury: The best hotels with premium facilities and top locations.
Prices from 350€
Day 1 – Arrival to Catalonia. Night in Girona
The first destination of the trip is the marvellous city of Girona, a major city and pro-cycling hub near Costa Brava. Your accommodation will be booked and you will only need to check-in at the hotel. After, you can enjoy the rest of your time exploring this wonderful city. Don’t miss the opportunity to stroll around its historic quarter or share the passion for bikes and experiences while enjoying a coffee in one of the numerous cycling cafes!
Day 2 – [Stage 1] From Girona to the sea (Platja d’Aro) 50 kms | +320 mts
In the morning you will leave Girona by bike heading to the coast to Sant Feliu de Guíxols, with its lovely old town, marina, and beach. Further along the trail you can’t miss S’Agaró, considered one of the most beautiful towns to cycle in the Costa Brava. Finally, you will reach Platja d’Aro, where you can find from Roman ruins, to hidden coves dotting the coastline.
Day 3 - [Stage 2] The Coast line of Costa Brava: Platja d’Aro to Pals. 40 kms | +580 mts
Today you will visit the fishing village of Palamós and two of its most famous and beautiful coves, La Fosca beach and El Castell beach. You will continue through Cap Roig’s Natural Park to Calella de Palafrugell main streets and its amazing promenade. Continuing onto Llafranc direction to Pals, you shouldn’t miss a visit to the picturesque Sant Sebastià lighthouse with panoramic views of the sea. Finally, you’ll reach the beautiful medieval town of Pals.
Day 4 – [OPTIONAL - Stage 3] Marshlands and Islands: Circular route to l’Estartit 57 kms | +390 mts
This optional stage is a circular route to get to know more of the Costa Brava. You will ride through the rice fields of Pals to the Marshlands of Baix Ter, a great opportunity to observe landscapes of natural beauty, as well as an array of birds that inhabit these lands. You will also visit the Estartit, a family orientated beach town from where you have wonderful views of the Illes Medes, one of the most important marine parks in Europe.
Day 5 – [Stage 4] The Medieval Villages: Pals to Girona. 60 kms | +360 mts
Departing from Pals you will head to various medieval towns. First, Palau-Sator, with watching towers and its famous clock tower "The Tower of Hours". After, Peratallada, with his imposing town walls and moat. Finally, the medieval and old Iberian settlement of Ullastret, dating back to the V century b.C.
After the medieval towns you will go North in search of the river Ter, which you will mostly follow during today’s route to reach Girona.
- Explore the old fishing towns of S’agaro, Palamós, Calella de Palafrugell and Llafranc, heart of the Costa Brava.
- Ride around the medieval towns of Pals, Peratallada and Ullastret.
- Enjoy breath-taking views from Sant Sebastià lighthouse.
- Cycle across the bucolic rice fields of Masos de Pals.
- Visit the two Natural Parks of Baix Empordà, Cap Roig Natural Park and Montgrí, Illes Medes and Baix Ter Natural Park.
- Accommodation in selected hotels in double occupancy room with breakfast.
- Luggage transfer from one hotel to the next.
- On call assistance.
- Health insurance.
- Accessible digital guide including routes, the itinerary and tourist advice.
- Quality rental bike with helmet, water bottle and other accessories (OTIONAL).
- Extra riding day (OPTIONAL).
- Transfers from airport to the hotel and back (OPTIONAL).
- Half-board option, dinners (OPTIONAL).
- Off the bike activities (OPTIONAL).
- Route personalisation (OPTIONAL).
- Additional night in Girona (OPTIONAL).
- Transfers to Catalonia.
- Minibar and extras in the hotel.
- Tourist tax
Food & drink
The province of Girona is one of the world’s major food and wine destinations, a region at the forefront of culinary innovation as one of the greatest creative hubs on the planet. The combination of sea and mountains is the trademark of Girona cuisine, the fusion of the region’s culinary techniques and character. A cuisine with substance and its own identity; not merely a style of eating and drinking, but a way of life.